Job Order #:
Rate of pay:
$14.00 – $18.00 based on experience
Full time-Monday to Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Each landscape construction crew is structured and staffed to function as a self-supporting independent unit, much the same way as a small independent contractor with 2-5 employees. While the crew foreperson has overall responsibility for crew performance, production, and profitability; the lead hand closely assists the Foreperson in achieving the overall objectives in completing the required tasks set out by the Operations Manager, Sales Staff and in compliance of contract specifications.
- Follow all Safety Rules, Company Policies and Procedures.
- Assist the Foreperson to achieve compliance from crew members regarding Safety Rules, Company Policies and Procedures.
- Immediately bring to the Foreperson’s attention, any unsafe work conditions, hazards or required repairs which exist on the job or that may be associated with any vehicle or piece of equipment.
- In the absence of the Foreperson as a result of meetings, getting equipment repaired, picking up supplies/materials, illness, vacation, etc.; the lead hand shall assume the role of Foreperson in the Foreman’s absence and is responsible to direct and manage all crew members in the completion of the work assigned to the crew.
- Works independently or as a team member to complete the tasks assigned safely and in accordance with expected rates of production and standards of workmanship defined by the Crew Foreperson and the Company.
- Minimizes the cost of labor, equipment, materials and supplies assigned to the crew and ensures these are utilized in an efficient, productive, non-abusive or wasteful manner by exhibiting proper regard for safe use and proper operation.
- Assist the Foreperson in coaching crew members of proper operating procedures for all vehicles and equipment and achieving productivity goals and workmanship standards providing customer satisfaction.
- When the crew is split to service different sites at the same time, the Lead Hand heads up one of the two working groups and is responsible for the productivity and workmanship performed under his control and supervision.
- Responsible to do minor repairs, safety checks, routine maintenance and service requirements on all vehicles and equipment.
- Reports to the Foreperson any major repairs or overhauls required and follow instruction.
- Reports to the Foreperson, any vehicle, or equipment service work performed that is not satisfactorily completed.
- 5 years of experience in landscape construction
- Good verbal and written skills
- Valid "G" or "DZ" Class Driver's License
- Ability to layout and install a landscape from Drawings and Plans
- Knowledge of excavation, backfilling and compaction
- Knowledge of proper principles and procedures of grading and drainage.
- Knowledge of lawn installation and maintenance.
- Ability to identify plant material including trees, shrubs, ground covers, roses, perennials, annuals and bulbs.
- Knowledge of planting procedures for trees, shrubs, ground covers, roses, perennials, annuals and bulbs
- Knowledge of plant care and maintenance
- Knowledge of pre-cast pavement installation including interlocking patios, walks, driveways, concrete curbing and pre-cast slabs, planters and related products
- Knowledge of pre-cast and timber construction for retaining walls, planters, steps. etc.
- Knowledge of basic carpentry and the ability to install common types of wood, chain link and ornamental metal fencing
- Basic understanding of sprinkler systems and ability to set controllers, and carry out non-electrical repairs.
- Knowledge and ability to identify common insects & diseases of ornamental plants
- Knowledge of pesticides and common treatments and rates of application for the above.
- Ability to operate all types of landscape construction equipment, tools and vehicles used by the construction department.
- Knowledge of Safety Practice
- Ability to carry out all in house vehicle and equipment maintenance and service.
- Mechanical Skills