Tropicana Employment Centre staffing and services are effective for clients from diverse cultures and languages with some 16 languages represented.
Our newcomer program helps recent immigrants to Canada develop the skills needed to find employment in the shortest possible time. Program participants receive access to the agency resource centre services including training workshops, one-on-one pre-employment counselling and job placements. We also provide participants with support to keep their jobs.
Participants receive individual assistance with career planning, resumes, cover letters, job search strategies, interviews and job maintenance. Culturally-sensitive topics include:
- The Canadian labour market.
- Developing effective resumes and cover letters.
- Networking to access the hidden job market.
- Creating an employment action plan.
- Interview practice.
- Training: Program participants receive access to Tropicana Employment Centre training workshops.
- Job Placements: Program participants may be offered a job placement.
- One-on-one Employment Counselling: Employment counsellors assist with job-related activities.
- Job Trials: Job trials allow program participants to work in a job for a few days. This gives the employer and the participant the opportunity to determine whether or not it is a good fit and, if they are interested, to pursue a full-time position. While on a job trial, clients are typically paid directly by TEC.
- Training Support: The program offers training support in the form of transit fare, interview clothing, tools for jobs if required and other necessities to find and sustain employment.
- Other Support: Other support may include, but is not limited to, assistance with housing, social assistance, disability support, education and literacy programs or other training.
How to Register
To register with TEC, please bring your resume, SIN card and work permit, if applicable, and photo identification to TEC. Please arrive at least two hours before the office closes in order to allow sufficient time for the intake assessment.
In order to speed up the registration process, please print, complete, and bring the Participant Information Form with you.